Monday, July 03, 2006

Superman Returns

My wife and I saw Superman Returns on our date tonight. It was a good movie. I recommend it.

I did leave the movie having been profoundly hit by a couple of lines in the movie. The first was when Superman first spoke with Lois Lane privately. He took her above the city and said, "I hear everything. You said that the world doesn't need a Savior. Yet everyday, I hear them calling for one." The second was the Daily Planet headline, "SUPERMAN DEAD."

Wow! Suddenly, I was thinking of God and Jesus. I don't mean to come across as hyper-religious, but I think my study of atheism recently has made me more sensitive to this subject. I have heard many in the media denounce Christianity and its message of needing a Savior. "More people have been killed in the name of religion than for any other reason," is their mantra. Sounds reasonable when the crusades, the Inquisition, and the like from history come to mind, but it is actually false when history is actually tallied.

The twentieth century has been the bloodiest century ever. However, this was not for reason of religion. Rather, for reasons of ideological differences and geopolitical maneuvering, more death and destruction has been met out than the previous nineteen centuries combined: two world wars, the Korean war, the Vietnam war, the Gulf wars, ethnic cleansing in Europe, Asia, and Africa, political cleansing in China, Vietnam, mass graves in Iraq, Germany, Russia, etc. The list goes on. None were for religious reasons. Many were for anti-theistic reasons: anti-Jew, anti-Catholic, anti-Muslim, anti-Hindu, and anti-religion.

If the argument against religion, such as Christianity, is the death toll, than that argument weighs greatest against the atheists and anti-theists. I want "Superman's" return and will cheer and thank God when he does!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home